The DLT Lasagna
- 1.5 lbs of ground beef
- 14.5 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- one large onion minced
- ½ tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ cup of cream
- One box of dried lasagna sheets
- 8 oz of shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Place the dried pasta noodles in a large bowl and completely cover them with
cold water. Using your hands make sure none of the sheets are stuck to one
another. Let the noodles sit in the cold water for 30 minutes.
2. While the noodles soak, brown the ground beef in a pot. Once the meat has browned remove it from the pot using a slotted spoon. Turn the heat down to medium and add the onions. When the onions become translucent add the garlic and oregano and cook for 30 seconds before adding the tomatoes.
3. Stir in the cream and ½ cup of water and bring mixture to a simmer. Periodically scrape the bottom of the pot and continue to simmer until the mixture becomes thick. Season to taste with salt.
4. After the noodles have soaked for 30 minutes remove them from the water, pat dry and place on a plate. To assemble the lasagna; spoon a small amount of the sauce onto the bottom of the De La Terre Square Baking Dish. Place a layer of the soaked noodles in the dish it's ok if it doesn’t completely cover the dish. Place more sauce on top of the noodles and then add a sprinkling of cheese. Repeat layers of noodle, sauce then cheese until you are out of noodles making sure to top the dish with a heavy scattering of mozzarella.
5. The dish can be wrapped in plastic wrap and place in the freezer to be cooked at a later date or cover with aluminum foil and place in a preheated 375F oven. Cook for 45 minutes, add 30 minutes if you are cooking from frozen, or until the center of the lasagna is hot. Remove the foil and cook for another 15 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown.
View the Square Baking Dish